I'm the former Head of Product for the Uber Developer Platform. Co-author of Backplane Protocol and APML, Co-founder of the DataPortability Project, Startup Advisor, Formerly Co-Founder & Chief Product Officer at Echo. Podcaster. Australian based in SF for 10 years. Curious about everything. Learn more on Linkedin.
I have some time set aside to work with a limited set of companies on a contract basis.
I help companies build teams, products, platforms and brands by...
- Assisting with crafting mission & vision
- Providing Silicon Valley insights & connections (including influencers & VCs)
- Interviewing & pitch candidates
- Reviewing day-to-day execution to ensure consistency with long-term vision
- Reviewing products - particularly as it relates to look+feel+polish, core UX metaphors, social + viral mechanics, retention, monetization, APIs and open standards, and future product plans (roadmap, PRDs etc)
- Reviewing go-to-market strategy - particularly as it relates to brand, personas, value prop, and future marketing plans (blog posts, marketing collateral etc)
- Elevating day-to-day team thinking to make bigger, bolder, smarter bets
- Helping them fast-forward to the future
In my career I have been a leader in the following fields...
I have started, built and run a series of great startups. Most as CEO, all as co-founder. Each time focused on democratizing participation in news and communication.
- Product Management and Design
Designing Minimum Viable Products (MVP), User Experience, User Interface, Baking in social etc.
- Developer Platforms
APIs, SDKs, Developer Advocacy and Marketing, Building Ecosystems and more. Built a platform from 0 to 85 Billion API calls a month (Echo). Ran Product for Uber Developer Platform.
- On Demand/Sharing Economy
Building two sided marketplaces, managing reputation and trust, marketplace management etc
- Attention Economy
Profiling, filtering and matching based on a user's interests. UI/UX to involve to involve user's in the process and communicate the reasons they see what they see.
- Future of Media
Worked with all major media including ABC, Reuters, CNN, AMC, TechCrunch etc to help them design and build next generation media experiences and monetization models.
- Enterprise BD, Sales, Strategy & Support
Building, selling and supporting products into large brands and media companies. I worked with central product and IT groups at CNN, Univision, NASDQ, Disney, UMG, NBCU, Coke, Fanta, AT&T and more.
- Data Portability
Developing, participating in and inventing open standards and protocols for interoperability between independent services and tools. Implementing user and privacy centric approaches to data retention and sharing. I coined the phrase. Invented Backplane & APML.
Gestures, Intents, Cards as a UI metaphor
The breaking down of companies, apps, services into more discrete component parts for hyper personalization and disruption at runtime.
- Silicon Valley
Fundraising, key players, politics, relationships, logistical and cultural insights, etc).
- Social Media Strategy
Techniques for participating in, influencing and leveraging social media to grow new markets, influence thought leaders and drive industry conversations.
I can provide special insights and historical context in these areas.
To get a sense of my approach, be sure to check out my ongoing startup advice podcast series.